George Bowman House
The Bowman house was built in 1828 by Jacob Ault. George Bowman was possibly the first white man to build a permanent home among the Indians. The Bowman house remained in the family until the house and were sold in 1937.
The Cherokees assisted Bowman in his farming, and in return, he taught them to make clothing and construct wells and cisterns. John Bowman was the first white man to preach to the Indians of the settlement, and the Bowmans built a one-room log church which served the community until Bowman’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was built.