The Dunbar School on Steekee Street in Loudon was the only black school in Loudon, was a school of historic significance. It was a “Rosenwald School.” Rosenwald Schools were started by a philanthropist by the name of Julius Rosenwald, who became president of Sears Roebuck. During his lifetime Rosenwald donated about $63 million dollars to educational funds for African-American and Jewish philanthropies. Dunbar School closed in 1964 and is now used as a community center
On May 29, 1912 the “Public School Board” was granted a deed from P.H. Roberts for four acres of land for a sum of $226 for the establishment of a public school. The school was named Eaton in honor of the Eaton family and the community it was destined to serve. The first structure contained three classrooms and a porch. It was originally intended to serve as a high school, and for a number of years, two years of high school were offered. Eaton School was the first Loudon Co. consolidated school.
Jackson School basketball team pictures during the 1960’s and pictures of the school building.
Taken between 1825 and 1830 when Roberson School was built. Part of the time it was located on the H.R. Bell farm. It closed in 1939.